For some, smart home technology remains a novelty—perceived as too expensive for the added value, or adding unnecessary complication and complexity to simple household objects. But, if we take a deeper look at the functionality and convenience smart home solutions add to our life, some for surprisingly affordable costs, we might be enlightened.
One of the most impactful smart home solutions is smart lighting. Since every household already hosts an array of light sockets, from recessed ceiling can fixtures to table, floor and desk lamps, there’s no lack of locations to install smart bulbs and guarantee power supply. And, since no one wants to live life in the dark, the mere necessity of lighting makes it an essential element of every home.
Here are 7 undeniable advantages of smart lighting:
- Simplicity: The best technology seamlessly integrates into your life, disappearing into the background while adding invisible value. Twisting smart bulbs into existing fixtures makes installation easy, hides technology inside seemingly ordinary light bulbs, all while providing the freedom to utilize different fixtures that match your personal style.
- Flexibility: Smart bulbs make any fixture more functional. No need to spend money installing wall dimmers, simply add a dimmable smart bulb, and you’ve got complete range of brightness at your fingertips via your mobile device. Some bulbs even allow you to adjust the color temperature from cool to warm light, so you can adjust lighting to match your mood.
- Integration: Maybe you’ve already invested in a voice assistant like Amazon Alexa or Google Home, but you’re not sure how (or if) they work with other smart products. You’re in luck! The Element smart lighting system connects to either for a fully integrated solution throughout your home. Utter “Alexa, turn off the bedroom lights” or “Hey Google, brighten the kitchen by 50%” when hands are occupied or you’re away from your mobile device for ultimate convenience.
- Convenience: Smart lighting can be controlled from anywhere, making it incredibly convenient. From turning off hallway lights from the comfort of the couch to switching them off remotely from work after you rushed out the door. All it takes is a tap of an app to switch single lights or entire rooms off/on, adjust brightness or tune color temperature.
- Energy savings: Not only are many smart bulbs LED, meaning they use up to 80% less energy than incandescent and can last over 20 years, but they can also be programmed with an on/off schedule. No more worrying about whether the kids (or adults) leave the lights on, racking up the energy bill. Simply set an on/off schedule to reduce expenses, carbon footprint and stress. You can even track your usage and estimated savings from an app.
- Security: One of the best ways to protect your home when you are away is to look like you never left. With programmable smart lighting, it’s never been easier to create custom on/off schedules that mimic occupancy, keeping home safe no matter where you are in the world.
- Ambiance: The ability to dim lights and adjust color temperatures can help create the perfect mood in any room, for any activity. Hosting an elegant dinner party or romantic evening with your significant other? Utilize warm (2700K), dim light. How about a holiday or sports viewing party? Create a spirited atmosphere with color-changing light. Need to focus on work, creative project or meal prep? Ensure lights are cool (2500-5000K) and bright for highest attention.
Whether you’re a technology buff or still using a flip-phone, we can all agree on two things. One, that lighting is an essential element of every home. And two, anything that’s simple to use, affordable and makes life easier, is something to get excited about!